4.01.2009

andy rides bmx

yessir, yessir.
I'm stoked on this picture -- it's from the first time I've taken pictures of Andy riding, which was last Friday (right before we enjoyed margaritas & yummy food at Acapulco! mmmmmm).

OK, so before you read any further--do me a favor! Look at this image and think about how Andy got way up there in the air. What happened before this moment? What happened after? Where did he come from, where did he go? Where did you come from Cotton-Eye Joe?

Did you think about it? Maybe write it down? Thanks!

The biggest reason I like this picture is because Andy was happy with it. I'm having trouble figuring out what elements make a bmx photo a good one. Like what information does a rider gather from an image that makes them think a trick looks sick or not?

I have been asking this question for a while and I learned a bit about it on Friday. Once I started shooting and asking questions and observing it wasn't so hard. (I think dating Andy for a long-ass time helps, too--seeing as riding is not so foreign to me anymore. but anyways!)

To answer the question "How did Andy get way up there in the air?": In this instance, he was doing a 270 table. Meaning he spun around 270 degrees and pulled his bike parallel to the ground like a table. (You might even call this one an invert but we won't get into that.)

He started by coming up that lower ramp in the front:

Did you guess that correctly?

Next he spun counter-clockwise while doing that table-y thing:


Then he finished it off going down the larger ramp on the right:


All together now!


...maybe we need to get some video up in this shit... heehee

How close did you come to guessing his actions correctly? I ask because I am pretty damn sure that no one who read this rides bmx, and I know that when I look at a bmx photo, I'm like "How the hell did that happen?" Even though I watch videos and hang out with those scumbags while they ride, I still don't know. So I'm curious. And excited to learn more by shooting! So Andy better get another trick up his sleeve soon.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's very nice. I'll film it.

Unknown said...

This picture is really awesome. I have NEVER shot anything that was intentionally action based. I really enjoy the lighting and the framing. maybe this is an angle you can go in....you know surf publications, bmx, skate- they have to have jobs for that it is fucking CALIFORNIA!

jen said...

Thank you guys! Action is really hard for me still. The funniest part about this photo is that we had to try it a billion times. Andy had to pull off the trick to his liking, and I had to capture it at the right moment. I remember one of the most difficult part of shooting this (besides getting blurry pictures) was figuring out how to get the frame focused in the right spot without having anyone there in the air to serve as a focus point.